Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Things I Didn't know about Backpacks

NOTHING... Apparently. It doesn't seem like it should be THAT complicated, but it is. I'm sure if "backpacking people" read this they would think that I am pretty ignorant...
Today I decided to pop into REI (www.rei.com) to look around and get comfortable with all the outdoorsy stuff and try to not be judged too harshly by the hardcore outdoor enthusiasts that work there. 
I think I may have failed... I found the backpack section, and there was a man helping a couple try on different backpacks. I was just staring at this massive wall covered in packs, reading this plaque in the middle of them all that said how to choose a backpack... which is EXACTLY what I need to know, so I was pretty absorbed. I don't know whether he thought I was lost in REI or just lost in general, but he asked me if I was looking for a backpack for a man, well, no, I wasn't, and told him so... and that was when he informed me that I was in the men's section and womens packs had their own section. AHH! I was trying to be so mellow and cool in the store, and within the first ten minutes, this old man wearing water shoes that looked like toe socks makes me feel like I should know the difference... believe me, they look the same!
I played it off, and laughed at myself... told him they all looked the same and I didn't realize, and started walking over to the ladies section. This is what met my eye:


Terrifying... Well, not REALLY, but still, that's a lot of packs.
I learned several things I didn't know about backpacks:
1. There are men's and women's
2. Deluxe, lightweight, and ultralight (how much they weigh, or support they have?)
3. They are sized by liters (40 liters being a small pack, 75 being a huge pack)
4. They come in sizes, like for people... for torso length! (I was measured today and am on the border between extra small and small... my torso from the top of my hip bone to the base of my neck is just over 15 inches...)
5. There are packs for summer, that have more ventilation
6. And lots of other stuff I don't remember.


Anyway, I got a little scared away and decided to go look at shoes... because those will be important. They were all pretty unattractive, so, my quest for attractive walking/light hiking shoes will have to be continued later.
I kept getting asked if I needed help, so I was taken back to the women's packs by a nice guy who I do not know the name of... and he understood about me being very girlie but still liking the outdoors and such (his girlfriend is the same way). He was able to show me some different packs and sizes and talk about the benifits... I don't remember all of it, I really just ran in to look around before I picked up the kids (I nanny) from school. He gave me a brochure of all the packs they carried (yikes) 
and was nice enough to underline the few I liked.
1. The Osprey Aura 50 
2. The Gregory Jade 60


3. And the Deuter ACT Lite 60=10SL


Now, I haven't researched these brands yet, so I'm not sure which is better than the other, or if there is a better pack out there... but these are the three that I liked the best out of the wall of packs. I'll find some more information out about them obviously!
But, it does make me excited! But, a little nervous to fit everything for a whole month into a backpack... I took a small backpack to Budapest last spring and managed fine, but that trip was only five days long. I'm up for the adventure though!




Before I went to REI I had to go feed my Boss's cat (my other boss, I have several jobs), anyway, his family is out of town and they are paying me to go over and feed this cat and empty his litter box and give him water... I'm not really a cat person (even though I have one), but, this cat is awesome! His name is Wally, and today was the first day of what I am calling "wally Watch"
I also was able to save a Toad from getting hit by a car while I was leaving church tonight and put him safely in the grass! I felt really good about doing this, because there were two hopelessly hipster boys just starring at it, wanting to help but not wanting to touch it, so I flounced over and swept it up and put it in the grass, then decided to take a picture for documentation purposes:
Doesn't really look like a toad in grass though, does it?


Well, that's all I have for today, Tomorrow is my GREAT friend Jande's Birthday and I'm taking her out to lunch! I'm sure I'll have some funny (to me at least) stories to post tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment